You Have the Power to Prepare
As we watch the tragic events happening in the south, in the last couple of weeks, our hearts go out to all those affected. These events need to encourage us to check on our family’s preparedness plan. We do not have the threat of hurricanes here in the Midwest; however, we do need to prepare for winter storms, tornadoes, floods and whatever else Mother Nature throws at us.
September is national preparedness month, the Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response will focus on four important topics – READY… STEADY… SHOW… GO!
READY… Build a kit. Make a plan. Be informed.
We do not know when emergencies will happen, so we need to take the steps NOW to be ready. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has the tools to get you started.
• Build a kit: https://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/kit/disasters/
• Make an emergency plan: https://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/plan/
• Be informed: https://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/informed/
STEADY…Review your plans and update your kit.
• Review your emergency plan and have drills with your whole family.
• Update the contents of your emergency kit every six months.
• Be sure to check expiration dates on food, water, medicine, and batteries and add any personal items that meet your family’s needs.
SHOW… Inspire others to prepare.
• Talk to your family and friends about the important steps they can take to be prepared.
• Be a preparedness role model – volunteer in your community, take a first aid and CPR class. Four Corners Health Department is currently looking for disaster volunteers.
GO!... Take immediate action to save lives.
If an emergency situation arises, local officials will ask you to shelter in place (take shelter in a basement or windowless inside room) or to evacuate your home, workplace or community. Know when to go (or stay), where to go, how to get there and what to do BEFORE an emergency.
If you have any questions please contact Four Corners Health Department at (877) 337-3573; e-mail email@example.com; or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.