The Schuyler Community Schools Foundation is seeking nominations for a Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
If you know someone who deserves this honor, visit the Schuyler Alumni and Foundation website at www.schuylercommunityschools.org/Domain/13, click on the “Alumni” tab, then click on “Distinguished Alumni Nomination,” complete and submit the nomination. Forms are also available from the office of the superintendent, 401 Adam St., Schuyler, NE 68661 or by contacting Shelley Friesz at 402-352-3527 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the Schuyler Community Schools Foundation Distinguished Alumni Award is to celebrate outstanding Schuyler alumni and inspire current students to strive for high achievement.
The criteria for this award are outstanding leadership, service and/or scholarship and significant contributions to community, state and/or nation. Only nominees who attended Schuyler Community Schools 10 or more years ago are eligible for this award. Nominees may be living or be honored after death.
Nominations may be submitted by individuals or groups and should include biographical information, date of graduation, list of achievements, nominee's or family representative's contact information and at least two signed letters of recommendation. Nominations must be received by March 1 at the office of the superintendent by mail or online.
The Schuyler Community Schools Foundation Distinguished Alumni Award will be presented at the May 13 graduation ceremony.
The Schuyler Senior Center has planned a Winna Vegas Casino bus trip for Feb. 19, with pickup locations in Columbus, Schuyler, North Bend and Fremont. Cost is $10 per person. Reservations are required by Feb. 16. For more information, reservations or cancellations, call Betty at 402-615-0857 or Lloyd at 402-615-0353.
HOWELLS — The Maple Creek Chapter of Pheasants Forever will hold its 32nd annual banquet Feb. 24 at the Howells Ballroom.
Beverages will be served starting at 6 p.m. and a prime rib dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $45 each and can be ordered by calling Prusa Welding at 402-986-1654.
St. Benedict Center will host a Valentine’s Day dinner at 5 p.m. Feb. 11.
Married couples are invited for Mass at the chapel followed at 6 p.m. by a four-course Valentine’s Day dinner prepared by Mark and Patty Bosh.
Advanced reservations and prepayment are required. Cost is $55 per couple through Jan. 28, and $60 per couple for reservations made after that date.
For more information, call 402-352-8819 or visit christthekingpriory.com.
Explorations in Creative Praying is a one-day retreat scheduled for Feb. 17 with Glenda Dietrich Moore. This day will awaken and celebrate the creative process in participants’ lives through a variety of prayer forms, Scripture, reflection and hands-on expression with art materials. Very simple art materials (paint, collage and clay) will be used. No previous art experience is necessary. Program fee is $40, which includes materials. Lunch is available at the center for $10.50.
A Taste of Contemplative Prayer, scheduled for Feb. 23-25, is a retreat with Father Thomas Leitner. This retreat, involving breath practice, is for beginners on the contemplative journey.
Silent Directed Retreat is scheduled for March 4-9 with Margie M. Walker, Joan B. Howard and Marisa B. Gilbert. Meet daily with a spiritual director, gather for prayer as a group, and, if you like, join the Benedictines for their liturgies.
For more information on these events, call 402-352-8819 or visit www.christthekingpriory.com.
Feb. 8 -- Let's Get Together, 9 a.m. in church library
Feb. 11 -- Worship service, 9:30 a.m., Sunday school, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Feb. 14 -- No Awana - Ash Wednesday service, 6 p.m.
Feb. 11 -- Church service, 9:30 a.m.; Annual congregational meeting following service.
Feb. 13 -- Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, 4:30-7 p.m., tickets available at the door. Public invited with proceeds benefiting Christian education.
Feb. 14 -- Ash Wednesday church service, 7 p.m.
Sunday church services at 9 a.m.
Feb. 8 -- Methodist Women, 9 a.m.
Feb. 10 -- Worship Service, 5 p.m.
Feb. 11 -- Worship, 8 a.m.
Feb. 14 -- Church school, 6 p.m.
Saturdays — 5 p.m.
Sundays — 8 a.m., 9:30 a.m. (Spanish) and 11 a.m. (Spanish)
Mondays and Wednesdays — 7 a.m. and noon (Spanish)
Saturdays — 5 p.m. (Spanish)
Sundays — 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Tuesdays — 7 a.m. and noon (Spanish)
Thursdays — 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Spanish)
• Florence Stevenson of Richland attended the funeral service for Arlene Brdicko, age 89, a former Schuyler resident, on Jan. 16 at 10:30 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church in Schuyler, with Rev. Sarah Gengler officiating. Committal was in the Schuyler Cemetery.
• Dan and Suzanne Stevenson of Columbus were dinner guests of Florence Stevenson on Jan. 27. Later in the day Denise and Emily Stevenson of Richland were her visitors.
• Mary Ann Belina had an 80th birthday Jan. 29. On Jan. 28 she was honored with a surprise noon luncheon and birthday celebration at Heun Hall. Relatives attending were Lawrence Kasik and John Kasik, and daughter Allison and Lauren of Richland, Janis Kasik of Schuyler, Bonnie McPhillips of Columbus, and Tom Kasik of Leigh.
• Nathan and Tori Oehlrich of Richland returned Jan. 28 after spending a week in Aruba. While they were gone, their children J.R., Kipton and Elli spent the week at the home of their grandparents Skip and Lorene Oehlrich of Richland.
• Nathan and Tori Oehlrich attended a wrestling tournament in David City on Jan. 20. Their son Kipton participated in the tournament and won second place.
• Lloyd and Margaret Stevenson of Richland were Jan. 27 evening guests at the home of Sue and Shannon Cole of Columbus.
• Jan. 28 supper guests of Lloyd and Margaret Stevenson were Shannon and Sue Cole of Columbus and Kent Kelly of Albuquerque.
• Charlene Klug of Columbus hosted a belated Christmas dinner and celebration at her home on Jan. 27. Guests were Bud and Amy Barcel and sons Kaiden James and Kaden Cole of Lincoln, and Katie Kreger and sons Colton and Chanceton of Onawa, Iowa.
• Charlene Klug hosted Bible study at her home on the evening of Jan. 29. Following a meal the group enjoyed Bible study. Present were Sharon Hartman, Tracey Moore, Cathie Klug, Barb Koch and Shirley Schmid.
• The Richland area was hit with a blizzard on Jan. 22 with strong winds and 10-12 inches of snow. For two days, area schools and businesses were closed. Many people were housebound due to the weather and road conditions, therefore only a limited amount of news.