COLUMBUS — An 18-year-old Columbus man accused of beating a city man with a baseball bat in a gang-related attack Oct. 6 has been bound over for trial in district court on three felonies.

Platte County Judge Frank Skorupa bound Cameron Shatto over on charges of second-degree assault, use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony and tampering with evidence in connection with a fight in the 2700 block of Ninth Street.

Shatto’s brother, Cole Shatto, 16, has also been charged in the attack. He is currently awaiting a Nov. 13 preliminary hearing in county court on a charge of second-degree assault.

The Platte County Attorney’s Office has accused the brothers of wielding an aluminum baseball bat and firing several shots from a pellet gun at two other city men in the yard of a Ninth Street home.

Court records indicate both brothers have extensive histories of violence and involvement in gang-related rivalries.

Cameron Shatto is being held in the Platte County Detention Facility, while Cole Shatto is in custody at a juvenile detention facility in Madison.

Court documents in the case describe an encounter that began the afternoon of Oct. 6 when the Shatto brothers approached two other men in the garage of a Ninth Street residence.

One of the assailant’s (later identified as Cole Shatto) pulled a pellet gun out of his waistband and began firing, hitting one of the victim’s in the chest and back areas, Investigator Gregory Sealock said in his arrest affidavit.

The victim attempted to wrest the weapon away from Cole Shatto, but the defendant kept firing, hitting the victim in the cheek and forehead, the investigator said.

Meanwhile, Sealock said a second victim attempted to help subdue the initial attacker, but was then beaten by Cameron Shatto with an aluminum baseball bat.

Sealock said as the investigation of the fight progressed, it was found that the pellet gun was missing from the scene. Witnesses revealed the gun had been discarded in the Pawnee Park West lagoon in the aftermath of the attack.

The investigator said there were conflicting reports of who was responsible for tampering with the evidence at the scene.

Comments disabled.