City teen pleads no contest to charges

2013-04-11T08:00:00Z 2013-05-21T09:25:04Z City teen pleads no contest to chargesBy Jim Osborn / Columbus Telegram
April 11, 2013 8:00 am  • 

COLUMBUS -- A 16-year-old Columbus boy pleaded no contest to wounding a city man with a pellet gun in connection with a gang-related attack at a Ninth Street residence last fall.

Defendant Cole Shatto entered his no contest plea to attempted second degree assault in Platte County District Court Wednesday stemming from the Oct. 6 attack.

Shatto, a freshman in high school, also pleaded no contest to terroristic threats in a separate incident Jan. 24 at the Boys Town Day School in Duncan. The defendant was accused of threatening to bring a gun to the school and shoot other students and staff members.

Judge Robert Steinke ordered a presentence investigation and scheduled Shatto for sentencing May 17.

Attempted second-degree assault and terroristic threats are Class IV felonies, each punishable by up to five years in prison. Shatto was originally charged withsecond-degree assault, a Class III felony that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment.

In return for Shatto's pleas, the Platte County Attorney's Office agreed to dismiss a pending county court case charging the defendant with third-degree assault in a Sept. 4 incident in Duncan.

The teen has been in custody at a juvenile detention facility in Madison for much of the six months.

The defendant's brother, Cameron Shatto, 18, has also been convicted of attempted second-degree assault and tampering with evidence stemming from last fall's gang-related attack.

Cameron Shatto is set for sentencing on the Class IV felonies on May 3.

Court documents accused the Shatto brothers of wielding an aluminum baseball bat and firing several shots from a pellet gun at two other city men in the yard of a Ninth Street home.

Court records indicate both brothers have extensive histories of violence and involvement in gang-related rivalries.

Documents in the case describe an encounter that began the afternoon of Oct. 6 when the Shatto brothers approached two other men in the garage of a Ninth Street residence.

One of the assailant’s (later identified as Cole Shatto) pulled a pellet gun out of his waistband and began firing, hitting one of the victim’s in the chest and back areas, Columbus Police Investigator Gregory Sealock said in his arrest affidavit.

The victim attempted to wrest the weapon away from Cole Shatto, but the defendant kept firing, hitting the victim in the cheek and forehead, the investigator said.

Meanwhile, Sealock said a second victim attempted to help subdue the initial attacker, but was then beaten by Cameron Shatto with an aluminum baseball bat.

Sealock said as the investigation of the fight progressed, it was found that the pellet gun was missing from the scene. Witnesses revealed the gun had been discarded in the Pawnee Park West lagoon in the aftermath of the attack.

The investigator said there were conflicting reports of who was responsible for tampering with the evidence at the scene.


Copyright 2015 Columbus Telegram. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Featured Businesses

Deals, Offers and Events