Partly cloudy. High near 50F. Winds light and variable..
Mostly cloudy this evening then becoming windy with periods of light freezing rain after midnight. Low near 15F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph, becoming NW and increasing to 25 to 35 mph. Chance of precip 50%.
Updated: December 8, 2019 @ 2:08 pm
Nebraska has a rich history of military facilities across the state. Check out these archive photos of installations.
These log barracks at Fort Robinson were constructed about 1883 and once housed the laundry and the canteen.
A B-47 stratojet nuzzles up to the boom of a fueler as the planes soar over the Nebraska countryside in 1955. The winged bomber of the 98th Strategic Aerospace Wing were stationed at the Lincoln Air Force Base until 1965, when the Air Force shut down the Lincoln base as part of a nationwide reduction in military forces.
A cavalry division from Fort Niobrara outside Valentine leaves the fort for duty at the beginning of the Spanish-American War in 1898. The fort was built to protect the settlers and to maintain law and order on the frontier.
At the Hastings Naval Ammunition Depot, about 600,000 tons of demilitarized ammunition was disposed of from 1958 to 1965. The explosive materials were removed from the shells and disposed of, often by burning.
This old guardhouse at Fort Omaha is believed to have been built before 1878. Fort Omaha was established in 1868 three miles north of Omaha. It was first called Sherman Barracks, then Omaha Barracks and finally Fort Omaha.
Col. David Johnson hugs his daughter, Tracy, after flying the oldest B-52 in the Air Force's bomber inventory before it was retired in 1989.
This panoramic photo shows the Lincoln Air Force Base in early 1951. The base was closed in 1965 as part of a nationwide reduction in military forces.
Sidney's colorful history dates to the establishment of Fort Sidney, which was built to protect railroad workers and settlers.
Fort Mitchell is the only Nebraska fort never recognized by the government. It was established in 1864 to protect the transcontinental telegraph line. There is no record of its existence after 1867.
In 1905, this building housed the post commanders at Fort Robinson. Today, it has been converted to a museum by the Nebraska State Historical Society.
More than 10,000 people fulfilled their fancy for flight during Offutt Air Force Base's annual open house. Some visitors took the opportunity to climb aboard an aircraft in 1984.
This photograph of Fort Crook was taken in 1897. The fort progressed through several phases, including serving as a draftee induction station and site of the Martin bomber assembly plant during World War II.
This 100-year-old cedar log cabin is believed to have been the officers' headquarters at Fort McPherson.
The newly erected Fort Hartsuff in 1874.
This 1981 photo shows the restoration project on the commanding officer's home at Fort Hartsuff.
Two children play in front of the restored officers' quarters at Fort Hartsuff in 1966. The old fort was built in 1874 to protect settlers in the North Loup Valley.
Dr. Auble looks over the structure of the former post office building on the Fort Hartsuff grounds in 1953.
The armorer's shop is one of the reconstructed buildings at Fort Atkinson in 1990.
Offutt's old hospital was constructed at the beginning of World War II. The hospital was overcrowded with 15,000 outpatients visiting per month, the largest number of any SAC hospital in 1965.
Offutt's new hospital in the Capehart housing area was valued at more than $4.5 million.
The Glenn L. Martin bomber plant, part of Offutt Air Base in Omaha, produced bombers for use in World War II.
Alert force cars speed crews to planes at the Lincoln Air Force Base in 1962.
A Hastings Naval Ammunition Depot civilian worker removes the explosives from rocket heads by steaming out the charge in 1964. Pocketless coveralls and static-free shoes are safety precautions during this process.
In 1953, the Lincoln Reserve Headquarters announced that the new armory would be named in honor of Gen. John J. Pershing. The building would house all Lincoln Reserve units and the Lincoln Army Reserve headquarters.
This building was one of several former Kearney air base buildings that the city of Kearney turned over to the Soil Conservation Service in 1952. Several other buildings and land were turned over to the University of Nebraska Agriculture College.
The reconstructed Cheyenne Outbreak barracks at Fort Robinson are shown here about 2014 as built by the Nebraska State Historical Society and Nebraska Game and Parks.
Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.