Veterans Day was started 1918, originally called Armistice Day. Armistice Day is to honor all of those who have served the country in war or peace, to thank veterans for their sacrifices for United States of America.
One hundred years ago at Schuyler, the men of the area started the Home Guard, formed by James Lambrecht, Clyde Watts, and Dan R. Francis. After the war was declared, word came from Adjutant General at Lincoln, that Schuyler could have a company in the 6th of Nebraska, and in one week needed 65 men signed from the area. J. E. McNally let all recruits sign up in his office, which was located above the post office in the McLeod building. Word was sent back to the Adjutant in Lincoln that there were 66 men enlisted. Orders came back to keep recruiting and they would be designated as Company G 6th Nebraska. The headquarters was located in the Bowman Hall on 10th Street, south of City Hall in Schuyler. Drill grounds were south by the ball park and east by the gravel pits. Lieutenant Swanlund, Chester Fletcher, Captain, and James J. Lambrecht as 2nd Lieutenant, were in charge of all 144 men sworn into Federal Service in July, 1917. In September, all departed for Camp Cody, New Mexico. The 34th Division was formed and our Company G transferred to Company D 109th Engineers. More history of this unit can be found in the History of the 34th Division.
Home Guards were still active in Schuyler as the men left for the war. John Sprecker, one of the home guards, contracted for the monument to honor Veterans of World War I in front of the Court House, paid for by the Home Guards.
You have free articles remaining.
Approximately 460 men were in service from Colfax County. The men from the north end of the county went Navy, and the south went Army.
After the war ended, the veterans were returning home July 4 , 1919; the balance of Company D 109th Engineers came home on train 19. A great homecoming was being planned by the Home Guards. The Sokols had a dance platform in Noha’s grove just north of Schuyler, and it was decided to have homecoming at the same time and place as the 18th annual Old Settler’s Picnic. This celebration extended to the Labor Day celebration, “The test of a good time, the remembrance thereof, Veterans Homecoming."
That’s the time our Schuyler post #47 of the American Legion was formed. September 30, 1919, was the first official meeting electing officers, and accepting the name of our post “McLeod”, in honor of Dee McLeod who died from wounds received in action at “Chateau Thiery” in France on June 16, 1918, while serving with the 6th Marines. The first post officers elected were D. R. Francis as commander, E.E. Ruzicka as 1st vice; G.P. Muehlich as 2nd vice; Elden Shonka, secretary, and Joe Sedlacek, treasurer. Dues were $2.50 per year.