Subscribe for 17¢ / day

COLUMBUS — A Platte County District Court judge told a 39-year-old father of five from Wayne that he’d reached a fork in the road between drugs and alcohol abuse and moving forward in life Friday during a sentencing hearing.

Judge Robert Steinke said Brian Dieter had “a decision to make” before resentencing him to 42 months to eight years in prison for forgery, terroristic threats and stalking stemming from incidents in 2015 and 2016.

“You’ve held down a job and been a good worker, but when you engage in drugs (methamphetamine and alcohol) the deal’s off,” Steinke told Dieter before giving the defendant two to five years in prison for forgery in 2015 and 18 months to three years for a series of protection order violations in August.

“The bottom line,” Steinke said, “is you’ll have to be held accountable.”

The court order convictions are both Class IIIA felonies, each punishable by up to three years imprisonment, 18 months of post-release supervision and a $10,000 fine.

The judge, who had earlier revoked Dieter’s three years of probation for the 2015 forgery offense, ordered the sentences to run consecutively and gave the defendant credit for 100 days already served.

Dieter was convicted of making terroristic threats and stalking in connection with incidents Aug. 6, Aug. 11 and Aug. 15 of last year in which he repeatedly violated a court order by trying to contact a former Columbus girlfriend.

He was previously convicted of making terroristic threats and sentenced to prison in Madison County in 2001 and 2013.

A Columbus Police investigation of the 2016 incidents got underway with a report of a protection order violation involving multiple phone calls and text messages sent to the city woman.

The woman reported Dieter came to her apartment three times the night of Aug. 10-11 and attempted to enter the residence through a sliding glass door, Officer Terry Heesacker wrote in his probable cause arrest statement.

She reported that she received text messages from Dieter all night, beginning about 11 p.m. and ending around 5:30 a.m., the officer wrote.

“Some of the text messages (the woman) had received from Dieter indicated that he didn’t care about going to jail ... and another indicated that he will bring a hammer and break the back glass when he gets there again,” Heesacker wrote.



Jim Osborn is a news reporter at The Columbus Telegram.

Load comments