Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Man dies in fire at Lincoln apartment

Man dies in fire at Lincoln apartment

  • Updated
  • Comments

A 37-year-old man was found dead in an apartment fire early Wednesday, according to Lincoln Fire and Rescue. 

The victim hasn’t yet been identified. 

Capt. Nancy Crist said fire crews were called at 2:38 a.m. to the apartments at 5500 Salt Valley View St. and found light smoke in the hallway, coming from a first-floor apartment with charring under the door frame. 

Smoke detectors were sounding when firefighters went into the apartment to find heavy smoke throughout. Crist said a pot of grease had burned on the stove. The fire was contained to the kitchen and had all but burned itself out by the time they got there.

In a search for victims, they found the man, unconscious and not breathing, between the kitchen and living room.

Firefighters took him out and tried to revive him, but he was declared dead.

Police said the cause of the man's death hasn't been determined.

He was the only person in the apartment.

Crist said it was hard to say how long it had been burning before the hallway started filling with smoke, causing a neighbor to call 911.

No other residents of the building were displaced. 

Crist said Lincoln Fire & Rescue turned the scene over to the Lincoln Police Department and a fire inspector. 

Lincoln's last fatal fire happened on Dec. 5, 2018, when an 84-year-old man died in a fire sparked by an overturned candle.



Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News