(NAPSI)—With longer days and warmer nights, entertaining becomes almost inevitable during the summer months. Thanks to the abundance of fresh produce, like California avocados, your backyard barbeques, pool parties and beachside picnics will never have to sacrifice versatility or taste.
Not only does summertime offer the perfect opportunity to gather friends and family around the table, the season also welcomes a vast variety of vibrant produce and local ingredients to enjoy together. So to celebrate the peak of California avocado season, the California Avocado Commission (CAC) sought the help of Michelin-recognized chef, Brad Cecchi, Executive Chef and Partner of Canon, a fine-dining destination in burgeoning East Sacramento, to develop a shareable dish starring fresh California avocados.
Originally from Sacramento, Cecchi takes full advantage of the region’s remarkable access and robust quality of fruits and vegetables, especially fresh, California avocados—available now through late summer. “With my roots so deeply embedded in California’s central valley, I’ve always been committed to cooking with the fruits and vegetables that our neighboring communities grow,” said Cecchi. “California avocados are currently at their peak, so I’m taking full advantage of their availability and unmistakable rich flavor to spotlight on my seasonal menus.”
Grilled Trout With California Avocado Watermelon Slaw And Green Goddess Dressing
Recipe created by Chef Brad Cecchi of Canon, East Sacramento for the California Avocado Commission.
Prep time: 55 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
4 whole trout, cleaned, de-scaled, deboned and halved
Cooking spray (for grilling)
2 tsp. sea salt
California Avocado Green Goddess Dressing (see make ahead recipe below)
California Avocado and Watermelon Slaw (make ahead recipe below)
1. Remove head and tail from each fish.
2. Preheat charcoal grill for up to 20 minutes or turn gas grill on high.
3. Season each trout with salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
4. Spray the grill and each trout with cooking spray to avoid sticking.
5. Place each trout on flesh side down for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Repeat step 5 two additional times, 2 minutes on each side.
7. To serve, plate the fish with the flesh side up, drizzle with California Avocado Green Goddess Dressing and the California Avocado Watermelon Slaw evenly.
California Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, quartered, seeded and peeled
2 Tbsp. sour cream
½ lime, juiced and zested
2 Tbsp. basil leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. parsley leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp. tarragon leaves, chopped
2½ Tbsp. cilantro leaves, chopped
You have free articles remaining.
1 small shallot, peeled and quartered
1 cornichon or small sweet pickle, quartered
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. sea salt, or to taste
California AvocadoGreen Goddess Dressing
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until completely smooth.
2. Set aside until ready to serve.
Pickled Watermelon Ingredients:
1 cup watermelon rinds or firm honeydew, skinned and sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
¼ Fresno chile, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. fish sauce or Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
1 Tbsp. water
½ Tbsp. rice vinegar
½ tsp. sugar
Pickled Watermelon Instructions:
1. Place watermelon rinds, garlic and chile in a bowl.
2. Bring lime juice, fish sauce, water, vinegar and sugar to a boil and pour over the watermelon mixture.
3. Let cool and set aside until ready for serving.
California Avocado Watermelon Slaw
1 firm-ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
½ cup diced watermelon
1. In a large bowl, gently mix the sliced avocado, diced watermelon and Pickled Watermelon. If you would like to loosen the slaw, more pickling liquid can be added.
2. Set aside until ready to serve.
““California avocados are currently at their peak, so I’m taking full advantage of their availability and unmistakable flavor to spotlight on my seasonal menus,” said Brad Cecchi, Executive Chef and Partner of Canon, a fine-dining destination. http://bit.ly/2L19ien”